The Church was opened and dedicated on 27th May 1900. A history '100 Years of the Church in Stepps' by James Begg was published in 2000.
St Joseph's RC Church
Opened in November 1875 to cover a large parish and particularly for those of Irish origin living in the village of Garnkirk and working at the fireclay works. A school was held in the Church until a school building was opened in 1901. A large modern school was built to replace the existing building and was opened in 1985.
St Andrew's United Free Church, Blenheim Avenue
The Church was dedicated in 1913 though the congregation had met in the Hall to the left since 1906. The chuch was demolished in 1984. A history '100 Years of the Church in Stepps' by James Begg was published in 2000.
Stepps & District War Memorial
A booklet 'Memorials to Those Who Fell in the Great War' by Campbell Provan and Sheila Stuart was published in 2016 giving details of those of the district remembered on the three local war memorials.
Stepps Union Public Hall
The Union Hall in Cardowan Drive was opened in 1885 and was originally used for religious and educational purposes until a school was built in 1902 and church built 1900. Over the years the hall served the community well being used for many social purposes, whist drives, dances, concerts etc. and public meetings of all kinds. The hall closed in 2007 and was demolished in 2012.
Mount Harriet House
In 1811 the Trustees of Mark Sprot used a legacy and bought the Garnkirk Estate for his nephew also called Mark. Mark married Harriet Hill in 1821 and lived in Garnkirk House. Mount Harriet House is in the census of 1841. The earlier house on the left of the picture had bay windows and an extension added in Victorian times. The house was let to a number of families and demolished in the early 1960s.
Original Stepps Railway Station
Opened in 1831 and closed in November 1962. This station was situated where Cumbernauld Road passes over the railway line
Opened May 1989
Stepps Bowling Club
The club was opened on 23rd March 1905. A short history of the club by James Begg was written for the centenary and published in 2005. The present clubhouse was opened in 1988.
Stepps Lawn Tennis Club
The club was formed in 1907 and by early 1908 a clubhouse and two courts had been built. A dinner was held to celebrate the centenary of the club in 2007. In 1968 a new clubhouse was opened. The original blaes courts were replaced in 2012 by an all weather surface.
Stepps Hockey Club
The club was founded in 1913 and played here until around 1990 when the club moved to the Strathclyde University playing fields to play on an artificial surface. Since then the pitches have been used for football. The pavilion was built in 1969. A history of the club was written in 2013 as part of the centenary celebrations.
Stepps & Chryston Golf Club
The course on Whitehill Farm of 9 holes was opened in 1900 and extended in 1908. The picture is taken from the site of the pavilion shown on a map of 1910 behind nos 20/22 Whitehill Farm Road. The course extended over the Garnkirk Burn to the line of the motorway and was in existence until WW2.
Original Stepps Primary School
The school with three classrooms opened on 19th August 1902. A school extension with five classrooms opened in January 1911. Another extension of three classrooms and a new hall was opened in September 1960. Temporary classrooms were erected in 1974. The school was demolished in 2008.
Original Stepps Library
Opened in 1960 and demolished in 2008
Stepps Primary School and Nursery
Stepps Cultural Centre and Library
St Joseph's Primary School
The school was opened in 1985.
St Joseph's Parish Old School Centre
Opened in 1901 and used as a school until 1985. Now used for community use.
Stepps Community Fire Station
Opened 1975. From 1953 until 1975, the Fire Station was situated in Mount Harriet Drive in a converted outbuilding of Mount Harriet House.
Stepps Police Station
The police station and police housing opened in 1932 and closed in the early 1980's. A sergeant and four constables were stationed here in 1935.
Cardowan Colliery Mining Memorial
Cardowan Colliery was in operation from 1924 until 1983. Sixty two miners were killed in the pit and many more were injured. The Memorial was unveiled on 19 October 2019. A booklet 'Cardowan Colliery Mining Fatalities' by Campbell Provan and Sheila Stuart giving details of the miners who died after accidents in the colliery was published in 2018.
Black & White Tower
The tower was part of the James Buchanan & Co Black and White whisky blending and bottling plant. Work began on the site in 1966 and the plant was officially opened by Sir Alec Douglas-Home, former Prime Minister, in 1969. The plant remained in production until 1987. The complex is now part of Buchanan Business Park.
War Memorial and Blenheim Avenue
The memorial was positioned here until Cumbernauld Road was widened in 1954 and then moved to its present position
Postcard franked 1905
Stepps Scout Hall
The Stepps 40th Glasgow Scouts were formed in 1914. A wooden hall was built on this site in 1937 and an extension was added in 1975. The wooden hall was demolished in 1990. A history of the Group by Campbell Provan was published in 2014 as part of the Troop's centenary celebrations.